Take a deep breath and relax. You know you have a lot of items that need to be moved and your first instinct will be to just start packing—but don’t. Before you begin packing for storage, you will need to plan ahead. Your first step should be to take an inventory of everything you need to store. It doesn’t need to be written down but you’ll need to think through all the items that you plan on putting into your self-storage unit for easy access later. Then follow the storage tips and tricks detailed below to streamline that process.
• All right, it’s time to start packing for storage. Remember, you’ll want to maximize the use of your storage space while at the same time protecting your delicate items. Don’t forget, most of Rocky Mount Self Storage units are approximately eight feet (8′) high. Utilize all of the vertical space.
• Group all your frequently-used items together. You will want to pack these items last and keep them together in the front of your storage unit.
• In transit, protect your valuables by using bubble wrap, newsprint and other covers designed for your specific items. Mattress covers work well, as well as old blankets.
• Utilize the empty spaces in dresser drawers and appliances. Don’t forget to clean the appliances out first. Dresser drawers a great place to store things like linens, bedding, clothing or even books and CD’s. Remember to leave that drawer open a little so that air can circulate. Also, put all your garden tools together in empty trash cans. By following these self-storage tips you can avoid clutter and maximize space.
• Break down furniture with removable legs and stack chairs. Don’t forget to put a blanket or sheet between surfaces so they do not get scratched or damaged. If a table can’t be broken down, don’t forget to store items underneath and on top.
• If you plan on storing any gas-powered equipment, remember to completely drain the fuel and check for any leaks. State laws prohibit the storage of any hazardous or flammable materials.
• While you are stacking items in your self storage unit, make sure to stack the heavier items below the lighter items. • It is also a good idea to write down where you are storing your items in your unit. A map works really well when your loved one asks you to go to Rocky Mount Self Storage to get that item they need! Pictures and videos also work great too!
• Lastly, try to organize your storage unit so that you have an aisle down the middle from the roll-up door to the back of the storage unit. This will allow you to navigate your space much more efficiently. Don’t forget to keep your frequently-used items at the front of your storage unit.